Working in the Netherlands

Are you an employer and do you intend to employ an employee with the nationality of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland? If so, your employee will be free to work in the Netherlands (as long as there is no question of an undesirable declaration, for example).

If your employee does not have the nationality of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, and is therefore a third-country national, your employee may need a residence permit and work permit. Depending on your employee's position, there are various residence permits that can be applied for. For example:

  • A start-up
  • The national highly skilled migrant scheme
  • An intra-corporate transfer
  • European blue card

Fast-track procedures have been developed in some cases for employers who are recognised sponsors.

If you are an employee and wish to take up employment in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for a combined residence and work permit. This includes the residence permit and the work permit. This is not always necessary. Exceptions apply namely to the labour market test.

The employee's family members can often also come to the Netherlands.

Feel free to contact Rukiye to find out which permit is required in your situation and whether your family can travel with you.

+31 (0)76 205 0810